Saturday, August 16, 2014

The quote below is from the eulogy for Abraham Lincoln delivered by Bishop Matthew Simpson on May 4, 1865.

As a ruler I doubt if any president has ever shown such trust in God, or in public documents so frequently referred to Divine aid.  Often did he remark to friends and to delegations that his hope for our success rested in his conviction that God would bless our efforts, because we were trying to do right.  To the address of a large religious body he replied, "Thanks be unto God, who, in our national trials, giveth us the Churches."  To a minister who said he hoped the Lord was on our side, he replied that it gave him no concern whether the Lord was on our side or not "For," he added, "I know the Lord is always on the side of right;" and with deep feeling added, "But God is my witness that it is my constant anxiety and prayer that both myself and this nation should be on the Lord's side."

No comments:

Post a Comment